It’s that time of year, when colds and the flu run rampant. If you find yourself avoiding everyone you meet when the cold season starts, or you experience the sniffles or a cough that never seems to go away, now’s the time to take a closer look at boosting your immune system.
Our immune systems are natural security networks that protect us from viruses, microbes and other living organisms we come into contact wherever we go. Everything from nutrition, stress, and living around many people can affect our ability to fight off infections (think college dormitory or children’s daycare).
Finding time to take care of yourself can be a challenge, but you don’t have to buy expensive or ineffective products at your natural health food store to boost your immune system. Supporting your immune system can be incorporated into your lifestyle, even if you live on the go.
Here are 5 Quick Tips to boost your immunity and become a super-virus fighter!
• Sugar and carbohydrates send your immunity down into despair. Instead, turn to foods that are loaded with anti-oxidants such as kale, spinach or cabbage, garlic, and ginger.
• Avoid dairy. Milk proteins are made of amino acids, which can negatively impact the immune system, and create more mucus.
• Fermented foods such as sauerkraut, coconut yogurt, or Tempeh provide the gut with healthy bacteria that aid digestion to balance and restore your body’s natural rhythms. A balanced digestive system enhances the immune system.
• Include herbs that are adaptagens (plants used for healing properties) including ginseng, licorice root, and Astragalus root.
• Let the stress melt away. Stress raises cortisol levels and lowers the ability to fight off disease. Try using a dry brush on your skin along with aromatherapy, it will leave you looking great and feeing relaxed!
Living with constant sniffles or a nagging cough can be frustrating, so instead of waiting into you are battling an infection, take these simple steps to protect your immune system.
Do you need the basic tools to fight off the flu this season? You are going to LOVE a FREE Herbal Home Toolkit: 10 Indispensible Herbs for Family Wellness, just in time for the flu season. And, I’ve included 2 bonus recipes that I personally use to keep my family healthy, especially during New England winters!